Freetown Methodist Church
The church has provided spiritual, educational, and social nurturing to thousands of Freetown residents over the years.
Located close to the Mill Reef Club, the Freetown Methodist’s historic church dates back to 1882. Methodists from Freetown, prior to the 1843 earthquake, worshipped at the church in Willoughby Bay, a thriving town at that time. After the earthquake destroyed the church there, the mission was relocated fully to Freetown, where it remains today.
The Methodist Mission in Freetown was originally used for worship on Sundays and a school during the week. Older members of the community fondly remember being taught in the church hall, which became Freetown Primary School. The school ultimately became a government school in the 1960s, although the church still maintains ties to it.
Freetown Methodist’s programs for children now include Sunday School and Boys’ and Girls’ Brigades, where generations of young people have gained leadership skills and self-discipline. The church currently has more than 30 children involved in its programs and hopes to increase that number as activities recover from being dormant during the Covid pandemic.
Adult programs also suffered during the pandemic, but attendance at worship is gradually improving and celebrations of all the major festivals and special programs have returned. Methodism is the second largest religious group in Freetown.
The Mill Reef Fund has supported the general fund of the church and repair work of the church building itself for many years, including a new bell for the chapel and new doors and ceiling timbers. In 1995, a Mill Reef family replaced the entire church roof following its destruction by Hurricane Luis.