Christ the King High School
The school strives to mold young women into responsible citizens and exceptional leaders.
Christ the King High School is Antigua and Barbuda’s only all-girls Catholic secondary school. The curriculum and extracurricular activities incorporate Catholic beliefs, academics, the arts, and athletics, enabling girls to strive for academic achievement while developing a variety of life skills. High standards and character development are considered just as important as academic achievements.
The school got 100% passes in 14 disciplines and 85% overall in recent global and Caribbean academic assessments. After outperforming competitors in a National Tourism Youth Congress Speech Competition, one of their pupils was named Antigua and Barbuda’s junior minister of tourism. In addition, students have won numerous arts competitions.
Volunteerism is encouraged and the school’s Interact Club recently received the Rotary District Governor Citation for extraordinary service and overall exemplary participation in volunteerism. Students also volunteer at St. Vincent de Paul Daycare Center for the Elderly, Dogs and Cats of Antigua, and the Adele School for Special Children.
When the school was founded in 1933 with 40 students it was called Convent High School and was coeducational. In 1958 the boys in the upper classes were transferred to St. Joseph’s Academy, and in 1984 the boys and girls in the lower grades moved to St. John’s Catholic Primary School. The school has been at its current location on Old Parham Road in St. John’s since 1963, when it was renamed Christ the King High School. It now has about 300 students.